Friday, July 23, 2010

The Details



So much of my style comes down to details. Many aspects of my outfits can only be appreciated (or even seen) from very close up. On my last post reader Sheila left a very sweet comment complimenting me on my attention to the details. Her words encouraged me in my quest to post clearer, more detail-oriented pix of the clothes. That's why i led the post with the pictures i did. The outfit picture is fine. But i have yet to figure out how to capture the level of detail present in this type of outfit (small details, very light colors) while the clothes are on my body, i'm running from the camera to go pose before the timer goes off, figuring out a place to set the camera that will catch what i want to show, etc. Not mention remembering to completely buckle my belt, push up my glasses, stop making weird faces, and so on.

Which doesn't mean i'm going to stop trying to make those kinds of pictures in the future. But it's nice and relaxing to settle down with a lap of clothes and 'the stuff' and start pinning away. None of the things move or get distracted by bugs or even breathe. Although tree sap and various bird emanations can be an issue....

The only thing i'd change about this outfit would be to wear a wider belt or sash around the waist. I just think more waist definition would 'contain' all that fabric nicely, and with my long waist i have room for it. I don't have anything like that right now, but i do have some likely material and i've started on a black with random white polka dot sash today. I also have some other fabric for more choices if this idea works out well.


Blouse: own design, inspired by some girls wander
Skirt: own design
Petticoat: own design, inspired by alisa burke
Belt, Pin, Barette, Necklace: gifts and/or very old
Shoes: Beautifeel

3 comments:

  1. I don't think I've seen that blouse before, and I like it a lot! Very soft, lovely outfit.
    8-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you for the link, Steph, you are too kind. :)

    Yeah, that's why I do my "stuff" pictures - I like to see the details of my own clothes, and I like to show close-ups of the textures and the accessories. I usually spread out the most distinct item or the one with texture I want to show on top of a desk surface. Then I arrange my accessories across it, and lay out my shoes on it. I usually do a close-up of the jewelry, but not always.

    This is my favourite post of yours because I can see everything properly. Love the little white flowers on the blouse, the pattern on the belt, the pin...all of it! You and I are like-minded on our details. :)

    Have you thought about making yourself some cloth obis? I have two reversible ones that look really simple to make. They are thick in the centre, narrow to either side, then have slightly flared out ends (cut on an angle). They're long enough to wrap around twice and knot in front. I love mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw, thanks mom!

    and Sheila, thank you for the feedback and the tips on 'the stuff'. it's definitely been a learning curve for me, even just figuring out what type of lighting will show details in what type of material, what shows up 'on the body' and what shows up better in a still life, and so on. also, being able to look at a picture with 'naive' eyes - i think especially so with me, since i have a small wardrobe and am looking at my individual clothes very frequently, i just automatically fill in the blanks of things that don't actually show up in the picture. it 's hard to look at things you see every day as if you've never seen them before.

    it's kind of funny, for a supposedly 'frivolous' activity outfit blogging does take a certain amount of brain power and dedication! and i REALLY like the idea of a reversible obi.

    everybody have a great weekend!!!! steph

    ReplyDelete