Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Thank You Erin!

A while back Erin at Work With What You Got posted an outfit where she wore two 'mis-matched' earrings, to mixed reviews amongst family and friends. I thought she looked great (as usual), but got more excited when i realized she's just solved a vexing problem of mine.

Almost a couple of years ago, i lost the mate to one of my favorite pair of earrings. They are little acorns with leaves in sterling, very finely worked. They work like a pair of studs - throw them on with anything and they won't call too much attention to themselves. But anyone giving a closer look finds them captivating. And they symbolized my love of the oaks in California.

For some reason, most likely because i lost the mate at a very upsetting time in my life, i focused on the loss instead of how i could still wear the earring i loved so much. But when i saw Erin's post, the penny dropped and i remembered i have had a perfect match to the little acorn since i was 22 or so:


A sterling and marcasite salamander. And as it turns out, the arboreal salamander loves to live in the arms of our oak trees.......this will be a perfect pair of camping earrings!

Just an around the house outfit - i belted the dress and only buttoned a couple of buttons around the waist, so it read as a dress over another, frilly undies dress. I'm getting better at my outfit pictures, but i still have a ways to go!

Here's some tips to get you started on 'matching mis-matched' earrings. Try out pairing different earrings that are similar in:
size, shape, color or color scheme, pattern, where they sit on the ear (post vs. dangly), material (wood, sterling, gold and so on), subject depicted, or aesthetic style (punk, victorian, etc.)

Earrings with similarities among more variables will look more like you did it on purpose. I've found that the most important variables tend to be overall size and where the earring sits on your ear.
For example, two earrings shaped like anchors, in similar sizes, both dangling from a post, one silver and one gold, one in a clean modern style and one with an 'antique' feel will most likely look great. But if one is a 1/2" long clip-on and the other a 4" long dangler it will be harder to pull off. However, experiment and go with what feels right to you! If you're nervous, choose a more casual occasion to try out your new pairing to see how you like it. (You can even follow my example and just wear them around the house.) Good luck and Happy Mis-Matching!


Dress: own design, inspired by Work With What You Got
Tank: Jockey
Petticoat: own design, inspired by Alisa Burke
Belt: vintage Coach
Sneaks: Converse via T.J. Maxx
Earrings: vintage salamander, acorn from Tail of the Yak in Berkeley, CA

3 comments:

  1. I like this look a lot! And I love that salamander (my tattoo is of a salamander). I used to mis-match my earrings when I was a teen...I think I could do this again one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad I helped jog your memory! Those are perfect together. And you nailed it with that description of how to work the mismatched "pairs"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sheila! Hi Erin! thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments. What a nice way to start the day!! steph

    ReplyDelete