Thursday, December 16, 2010

No Repeats W & W: Day Three


 Well, not too much to say today.....busy, holidays coming up, days shorter and shorter.....you can take pictures outside but the sky drools on you, inside during broad daylight you need a flash....


On my legs i'm wearing.......i don't know what you would call them.  They have stirrups, i made them out of one of my mom's old turtlenecks, they go up to mid-thigh and i put little loops on them so i can wear them with a garter belt - otherwise they don't stay up (no spandex, no elastic in the tops).  They keep my legs warm, and i love the way they look. I had to do some piecing to eek the length out of the available fabric, and it gives an edgier look to them.


The detail photos are from another outfit - Terri should appreciate the peek at the grey ruffle skirt ; )  I did wear the same half-slip yesterday.


It was one of those days where you keep throwing the sweater on, then working up a sweat vacuuming and having to rip it off.  No happy medium.


Any ideas on what the leg coverings should be called?

Cardigan: Tweeds
Henley: Aeropostale
Skirt, Half-slip: own design
Mystery Leg Coverings: own creation
Shoes: Maine Woods


8 comments:

  1. "They have stirrups, i made them out of one of my mom's old turtlenecks, they go up to mid-thigh and i put little loops on them so i can wear them with a garter belt - otherwise they don't stay up (no spandex, no elastic in the tops)."

    OK, it's this kind of thing that makes you so freaking cool. That is just AMAZING and subtly sexy and just. PERFECTION.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't leg coverings like that called gaiters? Or maybe they're really tall spats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's call them 'leggers'.

    And I agree - it is so cool that you made them. Out of your mother's old turtleneck. Who does that??? You are awesome! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, Steph! What a creative mind you have--would have never thought to make leg coverings out of turtlencks--the colonials would be proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know what to call them, but I love the look. The piecing is a perfect embellishment. Are they comfortable? I seem to remember garter belts and stockings as not being all that comfy. I guess it would depend on the belt.

    How did you start out making them? I'm thinking pin fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin & Misfits Vintage - i'm going to tattoo your comments on my wrist, right under the thumb, so i can take a peek at them whenever i want. really, you two are too kind!!!!!

    and i'm already thinking of them as 'leggers'. Thank you Sarah!

    Hi Cynthia! i THOUGHT that gaiters and spats went over the shoe....but i don't know. i should look it up. and 'really tall spats' sounds so fun!

    Paula - 'the colonials', indeed! THERE's a creative comment!

    Hi Dawn! yes, it depends on the belt. i've found that LESS elastic in the waist works better, as the belt stays in place. i never could stand the crotch droop/strangulation of pantyhose, so a garter belt was always more comfy for me.

    i tried pin fitting and gave it up (great minds!) i drafted a pattern based on the ankle measurement, measurement around mid-thigh, and the length i wanted between the two. i cut out the pieces with 1" seam allowances and then pin-fit....if you like i can take pictures of the finished, flat pattern piece and flesh out the process - just let me know! it may take a bit, but i can do it.

    Happy Friday everyone!! steph

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by! Stirrups made from old turtlenecks? I can barely sew on a button. Love the ruffles on your gray skirt!

    The first paragraph on your sidebar makes me smile. I'm kind of trying to say the same thing in my blog description. Just keepin' it real.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm getting here late, but all my finals are graded and grades figured. What a great idea for an old sweater. You could call them spats.

    ReplyDelete