Sunday, December 4, 2011

Double Denim Visibility



Well. I believe i have figured out how to participate in Patti's wonderful Visible Monday posts. Click here to check out the other twenty-and-counting participants this morning! Honestly, i feel that most of the time my feeling 'visible' has more to do with my mood than with what i'm wearing. But in the case of double denim, i do feel a wee bit awkward.




It just seems a little young, a little overly super duper casual, kind of tunnel vision: "I love denim so durn much, it's so practical that i decided i'm going to stock my closet with every single thing in denim! My life solution is here!!!!" I also profoundly dislike any number of 'fancy denim' ornate pantsuits i've seen on middle aged ladies. They seem particularly popular amongst middle westerners visiting the wine country. The outfits tend to be of a light wash and consist of a pair of jeans and a traditional jean jacket. The whole thing is ornamented with light colored embroidery, re-embroidery, applique, beading, and rhinestones with concentration on the pockets.




Needless to say this type of dressing is fine and fun on other people, but the thought of wearing it myself gives me a serious case of the heebie jeebies! Taking an objective look at my outfit here the differences are more prominent than the similarities. I especially like the way that the dark wash blends with the darker grey of the knits, and the way the knits add in different textures. It has the 'pulling together' and slimming effect of a monochromatic look, while the denim and mix of colors and textures keep it casual and more individual. I think i've pulled it off - i definitely feel more comfortable with the look now than even a month ago.




The wonderful part about the simple shape of this coat is that it feels like having a luxurious faux fur blanket. I often wear it like a coat, but i also like to drape it around me in various ways. So snuggly!

I'm posting this on Sunday, but i will link to Patti's current visible Monday post as soon as she has it up and i can get to a computer. In the meantime, feast your eyes on Visible Mondays past.

12 comments:

  1. Yes, you have pulled it off! And with those spectacular boots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the lines on this skirt...so flattering! And your coat is great...I will be joining you later on VISIBLE MONDAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally I think this outfit works on you because the cut and line of the straight skirt and denium jacket fit you so well. I also think these shapes are flattering on your body type. The other thing that works is there is no high level of contrast between the pieces. They dont compete with each other. I like the contrast of the boots if they were a Western style the outfit would look too much of a cliche.The third layer the coat is the star and that works too. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The no fancy denim thing started early - I talked too much about the fancy rhinestone studded jeans I would see when we went to Cal vs. SC games. How could they sit on bleachers with rhinestones all over their bottoms? It's not like they rent cushions at Cal games.
    yrmom

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. This outfit looks great, for all the reasons stated by others. The coat looks perfect. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, you've done it beautifully, Steph. Simple and flattering, and totally in sync with your style. I love, love grey tights with tough boots like these.

    Hey - I don't see your pic over at Vis Monday yet? Come on over. Oh, and check out You Look Fab today - there's a post about curly hair, does it restrict fashion choices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In your case - denim skirt and jacket in the same tones - how is this different from a staccato/deconstructed denim dress! I don't see anyone criticizing denim dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Goodness, you all have put your collective finger on exactly what makes this work and how anyone who desires can pull this off for themselves!! Much better than in my post :) Adrienne you make a great point about keeping contrast low in color/tone while upping the contrast in terms of expected accessories to keep things fresh. That formula alone could save a great many outfits!

    Pam & Patti, i was wiped out with a migraine last nite - i linked up to VM first thing! and thanks for the curly hair heads up - sounds v. v. interesting.

    Judith, did you know that Adrienne is a milliner? you probably do, but Adrienne also has some truly sweet clothes!

    Vildy, i never thought of it that way but you are absolutely correct! and leave it to mom to get to the bottom of things - if you're uncomfortable how can your style truly shine?

    Happy Monday! steph

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had fallen for the rule to not wear denim top and bottom otherwise you would be wearing a "Canadian tuxedo". You just blew that myth out of the water. I love the textures, how the grey and denim blue work together and the boots just cinch it. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how you tie your outfit together with the top and tights very similar. You did a fine job on this outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome Paula and Debbi! Thank you both for your perceptive (and complimentary) comments! I thought this outfit may have been a wee bit boring, but i'm glad i posted it - everyone in the comments has done a bang-up job of explaining how 'double denim' can work stylishly for even us older broads ;) which is great, since really it can be a practical casual choice.

    Take care! steph

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another visible curly-head! I haven't tried the double denim yet, but if I do, I can only hope I could manage as well as you. Well done! And I love your boots.

    ReplyDelete