Friday, September 17, 2010

Peachey, Limey, Yummy!

Okay, it's more 'rosey' than 'peachey' technically, maybe.......but it depends on what part of the peach, now, doesn't it?

This is one of my favorite color combos to wear. You don't see it a lot, maybe it's too feminine for a lot of people, but it's also extremely flattering to a lot of women. I made this blouse of quilting cottons - which i did partly because fabrics manufactured as quilting materials have a very wide range of colors. Quilters want to express, dahlink! And the manufacturers listen to the quilters and give them the tools they need. I copied the cut of the traditional blouses Frida Kahlo is so well known for wearing. It seemed like a nice, easy but striking kind of top for very hot summer wear, and the layout of the stripes makes a fabulous frame for all types of jewelry and scarves. At first a lot of quilting cottons tend to be a little stiff for my taste, but they loosen up with wear and washing. I'd like to make a couple more blouses in this style - hopefully for next spring/summer.

The great bulk of apparel fabrics come in the season's 'hot' colors and some neutrals/classics. Most of which are fairly 'meh' on me. I always get excited when i run across some wonderful apparel fabric in great colors and patterns - even better in cotton lawn! Like this one i found at Stone Mountain and Daughter recently. For you Bay Area sewist types, they have nice bolts of this pattern in four or five different colorways at $13.60 per 45" yard. Very nice blouse material, it comes in green, blues, also a nice grey with deep purple 'eyes'.

What are some or your favorite color combos? Do you have trouble finding colors you like and that flatter? I'm interested because it's been that hardest part of dressing for me since i was little (like in elementary school).

Blouse: own design, inspired by Frida Kahlo
Skirt: own design, inspired by some girls wander

3 comments:

  1. I love those colors together, but I generally don't look well in pastels -- that's why I don't wear them. Love the layout of the top and the quilted details...I'd just probably wear something like that in brights on white (very Frida, at least in my head). Or in purple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Cynthia! i especially love the thought of you and purple - and Frida was drawn towards very saturated colors.....hope you have a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I have seen that beautiful top. Very nice. I remember standing in Poppy holding bolt after bolt up to you and wondering why nothing was working - then came the beige. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete