Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Stormy Skies

So, as promised, a view of my new skirt -


It's the 'mlle. pointy hem' skirt with some alterations.  I got this fabric months ago, intending to make a top of it.  But then, as i pondered on it, i realized it's a little heavy for a blouse.  Then, i thought i'd make a skirt - but couldn't decide on the cut. Finally, i noticed how often i was reaching for the mlle pointy hem and it occurred to me that the same cut in a darker fabric would be just the ticket. Especially with winter coming on..... (Honestly, it's a wonder i ever accomplish a flippin' thing, as long as it takes me to get a move on.)  


I took these pictures on a day with scattered showers. We had clouds scudding across the sky, and strong sunlight moving in and out of the clouds, with showers now and then (and here and there). I've found the best lighting for showing off the colors and details of clothes is a uniformly overcast sky, so these pictures have some 'blasted out', overexposed areas. But i like the way the weather mirrored the look of the skirt's print - it shows some of how i feel about this skirt, not just how it would look to any old passerby.

Eeek!  The sun snuck up on me on that one! 

A couple of weeks ago, I got three yards of this velvet-striped black ribbon, planning to use most of it to make roses for a neckpiece. I whipped up this bow on the spur of the moment and like the general idea of how this bow turned out. After wearing it i've decided to tweak it to get a better shape. & i loved the way the two necklaces look draped together! However, it was a total pain in the ass to keep looking the way i wanted it to. I need to come up with a better system - do any of you have any words of wisdom?

 A couple of close-ups so you can see the fabric, the lace on my half slip, and my 'sanctified' tights ; )  The hole is far enough above the knee that the G.P. has no idea, and the tights keep me just as warm as before the hole.

Jacket: Yak Magic (thanks, mom!)
Tunic (worn as Blouse): Converse One at Target
Tank: Jockey
Skirt: own design
Tights: Hanna Andersson (thanks, mom!)
Belt: vintage Coach
Shoes: Maine Woods
Necklace, Earrings: own design

4 comments:

  1. I love your blog!

    You have a great sense of style and, on top of that, your writing has personality and wit. It's a pleasure to read. I look forward to following your future posts.

    Oh, and I love San Francisco! Visited it on my honeymoon a decade ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That skirt looks beautiful - I'm in such huge admiration of your skill at sewing.

    I'm glad Ralph found you (shybiker) - he's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Ralph! Thank you for your very kind comments. i'm glad you stopped by! we're lucky to live here - there's so much in the SF Bay Area, and if you drive an hour or two you have mountains, the gold country, spectacular coastline, etc. but it IS expensive as hell, so don't feel too bad for not being here!!

    Thank you Sheila! : ) i'm glad, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm giving a shout out to the Mustard Seed, where I believe we found that jacket for you. It was a scene - me clutching my Ace Hardware find (oboy!), and shopping for glam stuff for you. The Mustard Seed is in downtown Napa, and is a really nice store - with a sales room, um hum. 8-)

    ReplyDelete